Submit a letter TO YOUR CHILD
Your Letter to Your Sponsored Child due on Friday May 31.
You may use this form to send a letter to your child. Letters will be printed and delivered by Bishop Rueben to your sponsored child during Christmas. Please see below for letter writing guidelines and ideas.
Your online letter must be receive by Pastor Sondra by May 31. Pastor Sondra will be hand delivering them on her next trip to Patty's Heart.
If you choose to hand write a letter, please mail early enough to allow delivery time for the above due date. Please clearly mark the name of your sponsored child on your letter.
Open Word Ministries / Patty's Heart
P.O. Box 1158
Mechanicsburg, PA 17055
LETTER Writing GUIDELINES & IDEAS
- Keep your letters positive.
- Talk about your relationship with Christ, share your favorite Bible verses, encourage your sponsored child in his/her faith.
- Tell about your family- what each person is like, what they like to do, what you like to do together.
- Describe how you celebrate holidays and other family traditions (avoid focusing on gift giving or receiving).
- Share favorite stories and memories.
- Talk about your profession, your schooling, your hobbies.
- Describe life in general in your town, city, or region of the country (no specific addresses, please).
- Tell about your church and what you are learning and experiencing there.
- Give your sponsored child lots of encouragement (try to reference their previous letters in your correspondence).
- Comment on any progress you learn your sponsored child has made or any milestones he/she has achieved.
- Be generous with genuine compliments. Praise talents or skills that you come to see in your sponsored child (i.e. "You are a great writer." "Your exam score was wonderful. ").
- Ask one or two questions in each letter to your sponsored child. Some good questions:
- What do you do on a usual day?
- What games or activities do you enjoy?
- What are your favorite holidays?
- What are your favorite subjects in school?
- Who are your friends? What do you like to do with them?
- Be careful to avoid elaborating on your material possessions.
- Do not suggest your sponsored child should come visit you in the United States.
- Please check with Pastor Sondra regarding contact with your sponsor child via any means other than the Open Word Ministries initiated letter collections throughout the year.